|Location: South Africa » Kwazulu Natal » Drakensberg » Southern Drakensberg » Sani Pass » Himeville|
Plum Tree Lodge
Bed & Breakfast in the Southern Drakensberg of South Africa – World Heritage Site
PlumTree Lodge is a small country guest house located in the village of Himeville near Underberg, KwaZulu Natal. We offer Bed and Breakfast or self-catering accommodation in a privately run guesthouse. It looks onto one of South Africa’s world heritage sites - the Ukhahlamba Drakensberg Park and the world famous Sani Pass, the only access road to Lesotho from KwaZulu Natal.
Escape the rat race and take a journey to this beautiful part of Kwa Zulu Natal. We offer you a therapeutic and magical stay for you and your family. With spectacular views of the mighty Drakensberg Mountains and warm hospitality you are assured of a comfortable and memorable holiday here in Himeville.
In ancient times we know from excavations that Middle Stone Age people lived here and after them the Bushmen who roamed the Drakensberg Mountains and left their records in a wealth of rock art. There are many sites still to be seen in the caves and shelters in this area of the Southern Drakensberg!
In the middle of the 19th century in the 1850/60’s the white men came looking for land to farm. Our district, the Himeville/Underberg area was one of the last areas of Natal to be settled. The going was rough as there were no roads and was a good 100 miles from the nearest town of Pietermaritzburg. They came on horseback and in ox wagons with their families and settled here. It was hard BUT they made it!
However as time went by the farmers developed and established a good and sound farming community. Today there are large sophisticated and very modern and up to date farms. As this area is so beautiful tourism has grown over the last few years.
We have so much to offer.
Bed & Breakfast Bed and Breakfast accommodation is available in two bedrooms. Each has its own ensuite bathroom or shower. The rooms are cosily decorated, and have lovely views from their dormer windows.
Self-catering accommodation available
Greengage Queen size bed with en-suite bathroom and garden view.
Victoria Twin beds(Kingsize) 1 single bed with en-suite shower and Berg view.
Plum Queen size bed, single bed, fully equipped kitchenette, ground floor with outside undercover sitting area and Berg view.
- A Sani Pass Tour
A really exciting adventure! You are transported up the Pass in 4/wheel drive vehicles–you will experience wonderful views from the top of the mountain and see the flora and fauna which is unique to the area !! You cross the border into Lesotho and you are taken to a village to see how the Basuto people still live, as they have done for years, herding their sheep and goats ! You will taste their local beer and sample the delicious bread they cook especially for you! You then will drive to the Sani Top Chalet where you will have lunch at The Highest Pub in Southern Africa. (valid passports are essential)
- Guided Rock Art Tours can be arranged with qualified guides of local San cave paintings.There are many excellent sites here–some are long walks and others not so long for the less active visitor. These walks take you into foothills of the Drakensberg and you will experience the most beautiful scenery.
- Guided Hikes and Tours to see our Flora, Fauna and Bird Life. Many of the species are endemic to our area. (These tours must be booked prior to arriving in the district)
- Trout fishing in rivers and dams in season.
- There are 3 golf courses in the area.
- Tennis and Bowls
- Horse riding in the Mountains
- Museum–Reputed to be one of the best rural museums in the country.
- Wonderful scenic drives
- Picnicing and swimming in the rivers
- Tubing down the rivers
- There is plenty of interesting shopping to be done:
- The Underberg Studio with art, ceramics and photography
- Craft shops
- Cheese factory
- Pucketty Farm has luscious things to eat
- plenty of other interesting places to visit