|Location: South Africa » Free State » Eastern Free State » Golden Gate » Maloti Route » Clarens|
St Fort Country House
St Fort Country House near Clarens
DescriptionSt Fort is a restored sandstone homestead, orginaly built in 1913, on the outskirts of Clarens in a spectacular mountain setting. Spacious bedrooms, one small, have antique pieces and many comforts including electric blanket, ceiling fan, tea tray and bathroom heater. A kitchen with under-floor heating for the self-caterer. Lounge with log fire and sattellte TV.. Farm style country breakfasts. Scenic hiking trails, trout fishing and Bushman paintings. Shops, art galleries and restaurants nearby.
DirectionsDirections from Johannesburg (about 3 hours to Clarens, and another 5 minutes to St Fort)
- Take the N3 - Heidelberg/Durban road.
- Directly after crossing the Vaal River (after the Engen One Stop before Villiers), take the slip-way to the left, which puts you onto the R26.
- Turn right to cross the bridge (crossing the N3).
- Follow the R26 to Frankfort. Just before Frankfort, turn right at the T-junction.
- Pass Frankfort, and cross the Wilge River.
- About 300m further, watch for a sign board - Reitz/Tweeling, and turn left!!!
- Follow the R26. Pass Tweeling and Reitz.
- Drive straight through Bethlehem on the Durban road - N5.
- About 5 km out of Bethlehem, turn right onto the Clarens/Golden Gate road (R712).
- Travel for about 35 km to Clarens. Pass Clarens.
- About 100m further, look out for a sign board - Fouriesburg (R711). Turn right.
- Travel for 6 km, cross the Little Caledon River.
- Look out for the sign board - St Fort. Turn left.
- The house can be seen from the road.